MAGDEBURG

MAGDEBURG, city in Germany. The Jewish community of Magdeburg is one of the oldest in Germany. As early as 965 there were Jews living in the town, and they were placed under the jurisdiction of the archbishop by Otto the Great. They traded in the "clothing-court" (Kleiderhof), in the merchants' quarter, and conducted their trade even beyond the Oder River. Their quarter, the Judendorf, was situated in the south   of the city, in the archbishop's domain. The Jews took part in the funeral procession of Archbishop Walthard von Magdeburg in 1012. The cemetery dates from the 13th century – the oldest gravestone bears the date 1268 – later enlarged in 1312 and 1383. In 1213 the soldiers of Otto IV destroyed the Judendorf, and four years later the Jews moved to nearby Sudenburg, where numerous other Jews already lived. Demanding jurisdiction over the Jews in 1260, the canons of the cathedral laid claim to the fines they paid in silver, while those paid in gold were to remain the property of the archbishop. Prominent in the city were R. Hezekiah b. Jacob, who corresponded with R. Isaac Or Zaru'a (issac ben moses of Vienna), and R. Ḥayyim b. Paltiel , rabbi in Magdeburg in 1291, who was in correspondence with R. Meir of Rothenburg. The Jews were persecuted in 1302 and again during the black death disturbances of 1349, despite the attempts of the archbishop and the city authorities to protect them. They were attacked again in 1357 and 1384 when another epidemic broke out. Archbishop Dietrich employed a Jewish court banker between 1361 and 1367. In 1410 Archbishop Guenther issued a letter of protection (Schutzbrief) for a period of six years, at a cost to the community of 40 silver marks. During the 15th century the community maintained a flourishing yeshivah. In 1493 the Jews of Magdeburg were expelled; the synagogue was converted into a chapel and the cemetery destroyed. When the great elector, Frederick William, readmitted Jews to prussia (1671), Schutzjuden settled once more in Magdeburg. From 1703 they were to be found in Sudenburg, from 1715 in the newer part of town (the Neustadt), and from 1729 in the Altstadt. A religious school was founded by the modern community in 1834 and a hevra kaddisha in 1839. Rabbis of the community included ludwig philippson , editor of allgemeine zeitung des judentums ; moritz guedemann , and Moritz Spanier, both of whom wrote a history of the community. eduard lasker and otto landsberg were repeatedly elected to parliament from Magdeburg. The prosperous community, which included 45 doctors (who founded their own club in 1903), had about 20 social, cultural, and charitable organizations in 1933. The number of Jews increased steadily from 330 in 1817 to 559 in 1840; 1,000 in 1859; 1,815 in 1885; 1,843 in 1910; and around 3,200 in 1928, then dropped to 2,361 (0.6% of the total population) in 1933. The synagogue, built in 1851 and enlarged to seat 900 in 1897, was burned down on November 10, 1938. The men were interned in buchenwald . By May 17, 1939, only 679 Jews remained in the town, and the majority were transported to concentration camps. On July 1, 1944, there were still 185 Jews living in Magdeburg, mainly partners of mixed marriages, who managed to survive the war. After the war, some Jews returned to Magdeburg. In 1962 the Jewish community numbered 79 and diminished to 49 in 1969. It declined even more during the 1970s and 1980s, dwindling to 35 in 1989. But in 2005 it rose to 635 members due to the immigration of Jews from the former Soviet Union. Magdeburg is the seat of the Association of Jewish communities in the State of Saxony-Anhalt, which was founded in 1994. -BIBLIOGRAPHY: M. Guedemann, in: MGWJ, 14 (1865), 241–56, 281–96, 321–35, 361–70; M. Spanier, Geschichte der Juden in Magdeburg (1928); idem, in: ZGJD, 5 (1892), 273, 392–5; Vogelstein-Rieger, 1 (1895), 315; D. Kaufmann and M. Freudenthal, Die Familie Gomperz (1907), 236–42; MGADJ, 1 (1909), 110; 3 (1911/12), 164; S. Neufeld, Die Juden im Thueringisch-Saechsischen Gebiet…, pt. 2 (1927), 8, 14–16, 168–70; Germ Jud, 1 (1963), 163–70; 2 (1968), 505–10; FJW (1932); PKG; E. Forchheimer, in: Geschichtsblaetter fuer Stadt und Land Magdeburg, 46 (1911), 119–78, 328–40; O. Simon, in: AJR Information, 15 (Nov. 1960): S. Stern, Der preussische Staat und die Juden, 1 (1962), Akten, no. 135–9, 371–410a; 2 (1962), Akten, no. 496–571. ADD. BIBLIOGRAPHY: C. Seibert, "Magdeburg," in: J. Dick, Wegweiser durchdas juedische Sachsen-Anhalt, vol. 3 (1998), 23–36; K. Kaergling, (ed.), Juedisches Kult- und Kulturgut. Spuren zur Geschichte der Juden in Magdeburg (1992); G. Kuntze, Unter aufgehobenen Rechten (1992); A. Maimon, M. Breuer, Y. Guggenheim (eds.), Germania Judaica, vol. 3 (1987), 772–83. (Louis Lewin / Larissa Daemmig (2nd ed.)

Encyclopedia Judaica. 1971.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Magdeburg — • Capital of the Prussian Province of Saxony, situated on the Elbe; pop. 241,000; it is noted for its industries, particularly the production of sugar, its trade, and its commerce. From 968 until 1552 it was the seat of an archbishopric Catholic… …   Catholic encyclopedia

  • Magdeburg [2] — Magdeburg (hierzu der Stadtplan, mit Registerblatt), Hauptstadt der preuß. Provinz Sachsen wie des gleichnamigen Regierungsbezirks, Stadtkreis und Festung, liegt am Nordende der fruchtbaren Magdeburger Börde (s. S. 62) und an der Elbe, die sich… …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg [2] — Magdeburg, 1) Regierungsbezirk der preußischen Provinz Sachsen, gebildet aus der Altmark, aus dem Herzogthum M. (ohne den Saalkreis), dem Fürstenthum Halberstadt (ohne den Kreis Ermsleben), dem Fürstenthum Quedlinburg, den Ämtern Barby, Gommern u …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg — Mag de*burg, n. A city of Saxony. [1913 Webster] {Magdeburg centuries}, {Magdeburg hemispheres}. See under {Century}, and {Hemisphere}. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Magdeburg [1] — Magdeburg, vormaliges deutsches Erzbistum. ward 962 aus einem Teil des Bistums Halberstadt gebildet, 967 bestätigt, aber erst 968 nach dem Tode des Erzbischofs Wilhelm von Mainz und des Bischofs Bernhard von Halberstadt wirklich eingerichtet. Ihm …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg — Magdeburg, die feste Hauptstadt der preuß. Provinz Sachsen, am linken Elbufer, für den Handel einer der wichtigsten Plätze der ganzen Monarchie, hat 46,000 Ew. und besteht aus der Altstadt, Friedrichsstadt und den Vorstädten Neustadt und… …   Damen Conversations Lexikon

  • Magdeburg — Magdeburg, Hauptstadt der preuß. Provinz Sachsen, Festung ersten Rangs, besteht aus 4 Theilen: Altstadt, Sternschanze, Citadelle, Thurmschanze oder Friedrichsstadt, sowie 2 Vorstädten, hat ohne Militär 71000 E., ist Sitz der Provinzialbehörden,… …   Herders Conversations-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg [1] — Magdeburg, deutsches Erzbisthum, welches außer seiner eigenen (früher zu Halberstadt gehörigen) Diöces, noch die Bisthümer Meißen, Merseburg, Naumburg (Zeitz), Havelberg, Brandenburg u. eine Zeit lang Posen umfaßte u. dessen Prälat die Würde… …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg — Magdeburg, Hauptstadt der preuß. Prov. Sachsen und des Reg. Bez. M. (11.513 qkm, 1900: 1.176.372, 1905: 1.225.537 E., 3 Stadt , 14 Landkreise), Stadtkreis [Karte: Mittleres Westdeutschland I, 4, bei Rheinprovinz] und Festung (Eisenbahnsperre und… …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • Magdeburg — v. d Allemagne, sur l Elbe, cap. du Land de Saxe Anhalt; 287 360 hab. Carrefour ferrov. et centre industr. Grande ville hanséatique, elle fut un centre actif du protestantisme au XVIe s. Archevêché (Xe s.). Cath. gothique (XIIIe s.) …   Encyclopédie Universelle

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.